This is an exciting and challenging position for a commercially minded Accounting Manager, who thrives on new challenges, possesses true entrepreneurial spirit and enjoys working in a fast-paced, highly flexible environment. This is a role for a talented professional who has a passion for success and excels at ensuring processes are operated in a controlled way, that financial accounting is in line with recognised accounting policy.
118 118 Money is a fast growing consumer lending business with customers with a loan product, launched in 2014, and a card proposition launched in 2018.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant with a strong academic background, and experienced in financial services. They will possess a strong understanding of the accounting policies to be applied to a financial services business and have enhanced relationship building skills, working collaboratively across the finance team.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for ensuring that relevant accounting policies are effectively adhered to and new policies are implemented where appropriate. They will work in partnership with the Financial Controller, to ensure that this achieved in an efficient manner.
They will manage the year end audit process with the external auditors, being the main contact point, ensuring that the audit is conducted in the most efficient and effective way. Responsible for producing the statutory accounts and ensuring completed in line with the latest accounting standards.
The Accounting Manager is ultimately the gatekeeper of the financial statements, and is responsible for ensuring that the financial ledger is complete and accurate, reflecting the performance of the business and in line with agreed accounting standards and polices.
This position will report directly to the Financial Controller and will work collaboratively with all members of the 118118Money finance team, senior leadership team in the business and with the Global Finance team.
Key Responsibilities & Objectives
- Ensure all accounting policies are effectively implemented, and new accounting standards are appropriately adopted by the business, and the impact is fully understood.
- Document all processes and controls across finance, optimizing current processes and redesign new processes to drive improvements.
- Review month end trial balances ensuring balance sheet correctly classified.
- Independently review all balance sheet reconciliations, to ensure items are substantiated and fully reflects the assets and liabilities of the company.
- Liaise with statutory external auditors, to ensure that audit is managed in an effective way.
- Liaise with external auditors for funding facilities, to ensure that audit is managed in an effective way.
- Produce the statutory accounts on a timely basis after the year end close, and ensure all standards are effectively implemented and disclosures are made accordingly, in collaboration with the external auditors.
- Owner of the IFRS 9 process, ensuring the process is fully documented and independently reviewed each period end. Each IFRS 9 refresh is fully documented and signed off at the credit and risk forum.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Financial Controller, Head of FP&A and Treasury to ensure full understanding of the business drivers, emerging developments , implications of any new projects to ensure that that the impact on financial accounting are fully understood by all.
- Ensure any structure changes in the future are implemented correctly in the ledger and tax implications fully communicated.
- Perform ad-hoc business analysis to drive and improve the financial performance of the business.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree educated ACA/CIMA/ACCA qualified accountant
- Enhanced stakeholder management skills, particularly with senior leaders/board members and external parties eg external auditors.
- Financial Services experience, including an understanding of the expectations and ongoing requirements of operating in a FCA regulated environment.
- Deep understanding of the financial accounting applicable to a financial services company especially IFRS 9.
- Strong focus on control and integrity
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of staying on track and pursuing solutions with limited supervision
- Strong project management skills
- Self-motivated and able to work to tight deadlines
- Experience in Structure changes, taxes and VAT
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete background checks to assess suitability for employment, these include; a criminal record, identity, sanctions, adverse finance, fraud prevention and reference checks to comply with our regulatory requirements.
118 118 Money requires your personal data to process your application for a position within our Company.
If your application is successful through to telephone screening/interview, and you are not selected for a role, we may store your personal data for 3 years to enable our HR team to contact you should future roles be advertised.
Where you apply, but are not selected for telephone screening/interview, we will delete your personal data once the position is filled.
118 118 money does not use automated decisioning or profiling when selecting candidates.