At 118 118 Money, we help people every day. Our innovative personal loans and revolutionary credit cards have been game changers in the UK financial services space, giving folks access to the affordable credit that we believe they deserve.
Based in London, this is an exciting and challenging position for a highly motivated and energetic individual who is looking for the next step in their career or to move in-house
We are going through a period of growth and are looking for another lawyer with exposure to retail and/or consumer financial services who wants to work in the FinTech sector to join our team. This position will report to the Chief Legal Officer of 118 118 Money, and work closely with the operations, compliance and technology teams throughout the business with plenty of direct exposure to our senior management team.
The role offers excellent career prospects as you join at a point when we are looking to continue to expand and develop the legal team as the number of product lines grows rapidly.
· Facilitate the business objectives of the group by providing practical, timely and effective legal support, while minimising potential legal and regulatory risks
· Advising on the consumer credit regime affecting the business - identity potential areas of regulatory risk, understand relevant regulations and laws, be able to translate regulation into compliance business practices and processes, and contribute to programs to document, monitor, and report compliance outcomes.
· Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a variety of commercial contracts, including technology, payment services and general commercial supply contracts, all with reference to our internal risk and compliance requirements
· Maintain and manage internal controls, governance and processes relating to approval and signing of contracts and supply chain management in accordance with our standard policies and procedures.
· Liaising with external lawyers in relation to outsourced legal matters, and attending industry forums.
· Horizon scanning to proactively stay abreast of legal and regulatory developments affecting the business and advising and building awareness of senior company leadership on legal, regulatory and compliance risks associated with running a technology-led consumer lending business.
The Ideal Candidate
- UK qualified solicitor with post qualification experience of 2-4 years PQE. Some in-house experience, either from an in-house role or via a secondment in private practice would be welcomed but not required.
- Experience advising on consumer credit legislation and awareness of the way in which the FCA regulates consumer lending businesses
- Awareness of the legal issues affecting technology-led based business, including software licences, intellectual property, cloud based services. Experience of advising on data protection would be a particular advantage
- Ideally, experience negotiating commercial contracts
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and to manage multiple projects in an extremely fast paced start-up environment – whilst still always maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proactive, solution-oriented attitude to resolving business issues.
- Approachable with strong interpersonal skills.
- A team player with a flexible, hands on approach.
- Excellent academics (to include a minimum 2.1 degree or equivalent) and experience working at a leading law firm.
We use PQE levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete background checks to assess suitability for employment, these include; a criminal record, identity, sanctions, adverse finance, fraud prevention and reference checks to comply with our regulatory requirements.