Role location: London
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits
Who are we?
Life is sometimes messy, unpredictable, and surprising — that’s where we come in. 118 118 Money is a fast-growing tech enabled disruptor in the financial services market. Our mission is to help our customers handle whatever lands in their path, so they can get back out there and get on.
We hit the ground running in 2013 with our revolutionary unsecured personal loans and credit cards, giving UK residents access to credit at fair and affordable rates that we believe they deserve.
We have offices in Cardiff, Milton Keynes, with our HQ in London, the UK. Our customers teams are based in Manila, the Philippines.
Our people are the heart of our business, this is a theme we all share as we look to build our people capability for the future. We recognise, reward, and celebrate great performance and behaviour. We provide a positive environment for our people to collaborate and thrive. We recruit great talent who share our values and ambition.
The opportunity – we promise it’s a great one!
We are looking for Legal Counsel to join our Legal Team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to make a difference. We are learning and growing every day and look for like-minded people who share our ambitions for the future. This is where you come in…
Based in London, this is an exciting and challenging position for a highly motivated and energetic individual who is looking for the next step in their career or to move in-house.
We are going through a period of growth and are looking for another lawyer with an interest in retail and/or consumer financial services who wants to work in the FinTech sector to join our team. This position will report to the Chief Legal Officer of 118 118 Money, and work closely with the operations, compliance and technology teams throughout the business with plenty of direct exposure to our senior management team.
The role offers excellent career prospects as you join at a point when we are looking to continue to expand and develop the legal team as the number of product lines grows rapidly.
What will you be doing?
- Facilitate the business objectives of the group by providing practical, timely and effective legal support, while minimising potential legal and regulatory risks.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a variety of commercial contracts, including technology, intellectual property licences, NDAs, consultancy agreements and general commercial contracts, all with reference to our internal risk and compliance requirements.
- Advising on data protection issues and drafting/negotiating data processing agreements.
- Maintain and manage internal controls, governance and processes relating to approval and signing of contracts and supply chain management in accordance with our standard policies and procedures.
- Liaising with external lawyers in relation to outsourced legal matters, and attending industry forums.
- Horizon scanning to proactively stay abreast of legal and regulatory developments affecting the business and advising and building awareness of senior company leadership on legal, regulatory and compliance risks associated with running a technology-led consumer lending business.
The Ideal Candidate
What you’ll need:
- UK qualified solicitor with post qualification experience of 2-4 years PQE. Some in-house experience, either from an in-house role or via a secondment in private practice would be welcomed but not required.
- Understanding of the way in which the FCA regulates consumer lending businesses and either experience in or willingness to learn about retail financial services and consumer credit legislation
- Experience of advising on the legal issues affecting technology-led based business, including software licences, intellectual property, cloud based services.
- Experience of advising on data protection would be a particular advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and to manage multiple projects in an extremely fast paced start-up environment – whilst still always maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proactive, solution-oriented attitude to resolving business issues.
- Approachable with strong interpersonal skills.
- A team player with a flexible, hands on approach.
- Excellent academics (to include a minimum 2.1 degree or equivalent) and experience working at a leading law firm.
Please note: We use PQE levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
About the Company
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive salary
- Company bonus scheme - if the business does well, you should get rewarded for your hard work
- 25 days' annual leave (plus bank holidays) – your balance stars from day 1 so don’t delay and start planning your time off!
- Company pension scheme – we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions to set you up for the future which includes life cover of 4x your base salary
- Cycle to work scheme – you’ll have the opportunity to purchase a new bike and pay us back each month
- Eye test – you can claim a freebie each year, or if your needs change
- Private Medical Insurance – for qualifying roles, you will be eligible to join the scheme (subject to the insurer’s criteria)
- Employee Assistance Programme - we offer membership to a recognised scheme to support you and your wellbeing
- A strong ethos of equality, diversity, and inclusion
- Wide business exposure, in terms of business disciplines, projects and stakeholders
- Excellent technical development with best practice mentorship in analytical techniques
- Direct contribution to business transformation and growth
- Huge learning and career progression opportunities
- Being valued as an individual from our team
- Full training, support and mentoring to develop a successful career in financial services
Like what you’ve heard? Great - apply now!
As a candidate, we know the interview process can be daunting and so it’s important that you have a great experience with us. We will do all we can to make sure you are fully informed, are excited by our story so we get to see the best from you. Following your application, we will want to learn more about you, your motivations, experiences, and values. In turn, you get to learn about our business, our culture, the role and what we can offer you.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At 118 118 Money we are passionate about equality, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to being representative of different cultures, background, lifestyles, and groups, where everyone has an equal chance to succeed. It is our policy to treat everyone fairly and to ensure no one is disadvantaged or receives less favourable treatment.
How we handle your data
118 118 Money requires your personal data to process your application for a position within our Company.
If your application is successful through to telephone screening/interview, and you are not selected for a role, we may store your personal data for 12 months to enable our HR team to contact you should future roles be advertised. Where you apply, but are not selected for telephone screening/interview, we will delete your personal data once the position is filled.
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete background checks to assess suitability for employment, these include; a criminal record, identity, sanctions, adverse finance, fraud prevention and reference checks to comply with our regulatory requirements.