Based in London and Milton Keynes, this is an exciting and challenging position for a highly motivated and energetic individual who is looking for the next step in their career or to move in-house. You must enjoy working in a very fast-paced, highly flexible, dynamic environment.
118118 Money launched in 2013 to shake up the traditional UK financial services industry offering services to customers who may find it hard to get credit from their banks. Always looking to challenge the status quo, we started with unsecured personal loan product and then launched the 118 118 Money Card, the only subscription-based credit card on the UK market. We are a tech-based company with a continually evolving platform.
We are going through a period of growth and are looking for another lawyer with exposure to financial services and/or consumer lending and who wants to work in the FinTech sector to join our team. This position will report to the Chief Legal Officer of 118 118 Money, and work closely with the operations, compliance and technology teams throughout the business.
The role offers excellent career prospects as you join at a point when we are looking to continue to expand and develop the legal team as the number of product lines grows rapidly.
- Facilitate the business objectives of the group by providing practical, timely and effective legal support, while minimising potential legal and regulatory risks
- Advising on the regulatory landscape affecting the business - identity potential areas of regulatory risk, understand relevant regulations and laws, be able to translate regulation into compliance business practices and processes, and contribute to programs to document, monitor, and report compliance outcomes.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a variety of commercial contracts, including customer and supplier agreements in the areas of technology, electronic commerce, payment services and general commercial contracting, all with reference to the group’s internal risk and compliance requirements
- Maintain and manage internal controls, governance and processes relating to approval and signing of contracts and supply chain management in accordance with our standard policies and procedures.
- Liaising with external lawyers in relation to outsourced legal matters.
- Horizon scanning to proactively stay abreast of legal and regulatory developments affecting the business and advising and building awareness of senior company leadership on legal, regulatory and compliance risks associated with running a consumer lending business.
The Ideal Candidate
- UK qualified solicitor with post qualification experience. Some in-house experience, either from an in-house role or via a secondment in private practice would be welcomed but not required.
- Experience advising on the FCA regulatory framework and other key consumer credit legislation
- Awareness of the legal issues affecting tech based business, including data security and IPR would be an advantage
- Proven experience negotiating commercial contracts
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and to manage multiple projects in an extremely fast paced start-up environment – whilst still always maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proactive, solution-oriented attitude to resolving business issues.
- Approachable with strong interpersonal skills.
- A team player with a flexible, hands on approach.
- Excellent academics (to include a minimum 2.1 degree or equivalent) and experience working at a leading law firm.
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete a standard CRB, identity & adverse finance check to comply with regulatory requirements.
118 118 Money requires your personal data to process your application for a position within our Company.
If your application is successful through to telephone screening/interview, and you are not selected for a role, we may store your personal data for 3 years to enable our HR team to contact you should future roles be advertised.
Where you apply, but are not selected for telephone screening/interview, we will delete your personal data once the position is filled.
118 118 money does not use automated decisioning or profiling when selecting candidates.