Senior Legal Counsel
Based in London, this is an exciting and challenging position for a highly motivated and energetic individual who is looking for the next step in their career or to move in-house. You must enjoy working in a very fast-paced, highly flexible, dynamic environment operating on a global basis.
The role is to support our financial services, telecoms, customer care outsourcing and enhanced information services business operating in the UK, Europe, the USA and the Philippines.
Our group, kgb, is the world largest leading independent provider of directory assistance and enhanced information services serving 100m customers worldwide. We own the 118118 brand and 118 118 Money in the UK, the equally well-known 118218 in France and through our Conduit Global brand provide pioneering cloud contact centre solutions and business process outsourcing services.
In 2013 we launched 118118 Money here in the UK. 118 118 Money is a significant financial services business offering personal loans and credit cards to customers who may find it hard to get credit from their banks, but don’t want to go down the route of a payday loan. Launched in 2013, we came to shake up the traditional UK financial services industry with our unsecured personal loan product. Always looking to challenge the status quo, we also recently launched the 118 118 Money Card, the first ever subscription-based credit card on the UK market.
This position will report to the Chief Legal Officer of 118 118 Money, and work closely with the operations and compliance teams for our businesses around the world.
It also offers excellent career prospects as you join at a point when we are looking to continue to expand and develop the legal team as the number of product lines grows rapidly.
- Facilitate the business objectives of the group by providing practical, timely and effective legal support, while minimising potential legal risks
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a variety of commercial contracts, including customer and supplier agreements in the areas of technology, outsourcing, electronic commerce, data privacy and security and general commercial contracting, all with reference to the group’s internal risk and compliance requirements
- Supporting on employment-related legal issues and real-time interaction with employees on employment matters
- Liaison with business to provide proactive and commercial legal advice to help them achieve: (i) their business plans and (ii) the effective delivery and management of existing contracts.
- Leading on corporate governance matters including maintaining policies relating to the governance and operation of the business as a whole.
- Liaising with external lawyers in relation to outsourced legal matters.
- Horizon scanning to proactively stay abreast of legal and regulatory developments affecting the business and advising and building awareness of senior company leadership on legal, regulatory and compliance risks associated with running a consumer lending business.
- Maintaining and building upon good relationships with external regulatory bodies and industry groups.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified solicitor with solid post qualification experience. Some in-house experience, either from an in-house role or via a secondment in private practice would be welcomed but not required.
- Direct experience in the drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements, including a general awareness of the sorts of legal issues affecting tech based business – it would be an advantage to have experience of business process outsourcing, UK financial services regulation, trade secrets/intellectual property protection, employment-related issues and data security issues.
- Experience of working in jurisdictions outside the UK (specifically the US) would be an advantage
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and to manage multiple projects in an extremely fast paced start-up environment – whilst still always maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proactive, solution-oriented attitude to resolving business issues.
- Ability to draft clear, professional and legally robust correspondence, contractual documentation, policies and other documentation as required, with appropriate form and style.
- A team player with a flexible, hands on approach.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Capable of communicating effectively and professionally with regulators, highly technically astute boards and management regarding difficult and complex issues.
- Excellent academics (to include a minimum 2.1 degree or equivalent) and experience working at a leading law firm.
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete a standard level CRB, adverse finance and identity check.
118 118 Money requires your personal data to process your application for a position within our Company.
If your application is successful through to telephone screening/interview, and you are not selected for a role, we may store your personal data for 3 years to enable our HR team to contact you should future roles be advertised.
Where you apply, but are not selected for telephone screening/interview, we will delete your personal data once the position is filled.
118 118 money does not use automated decisioning or profiling when selecting candidates.